Sand & Sun

September Challenge

Thanks to Aussie Scrap Society on fb. I've been entering the challenges each month which is a great way of motivating me to scrap and challenges me to try something new. This month (September) the challenge was Mesh/gauze and white space. Definitely a challenge for me. Not so much the mesh/gauze part, I'm often finding ways to use these materials in my work but the white space! now that's a different story. If you hadn't already noticed, my projects are busy. I struggle to leave space on a page. I get caught up in the creating and forget to stop.

I do love the white space style though. I really must get more into it I think.

I have a new favourite stamp. Kaiser Craft Arty Texture Stamp.
Texture Clear Stamp Arty
It is amazing. I'm not a big fan of clear stamps but I make an exception for Kaiser Craft. They have an awesome texture stamp range at the moment and I'm only just beginning to enjoy the last batch I bought.
I used Distress Ink, Barn Door and Forest Moss. I wet the white bazzill 12x12  page first with a mini mister then dabbed lightly using some paper towel over a doily stencil with the two distress inks. It left a smudgy kind of look for the back ground. I focussed on an upside down "L" shape knowing I would put my photo in the elbow of it. Once the paper was dry, I stamped the Arty texture stamp over the dabbing.

Then it was just a matter of layering what ever I could find. Gauze first then a white paper doily then a tag coloured in the Barn Door distress Ink then the photo mounted on some white card stock then some buttons, wooden clock from Prima and more gauze on top. I added a little bit of crackle paint in the Barn Door colour as well, just to add some texture to the page. I also stamped and fine cut the littlest stamp from the Kaszazz Moroccan tile stamp set. It's on page 13 of the Kaszazz catalogue. I'm loving this set. It's useful for so many things.

I tied some twine around the piece of white card stock that the photo is mounted on. It sticks out a little further on the right hand side than the left. It gives room to add twine and an embellishment without interfering with the photo. The next step was to define the "L" shape with paint drips or flicks. I used diluted distress ink (Barn Door) refill with a watery paint brush. I started by flicking but this is hard to control and I had a specific target for the paint drips in mind so I ended up holding the brush over the area I wanted to paint and tapped the handle slightly. It worked really well and gave me much more control over where the paint was landing.

Lastly I added some rub ons "Sand and Sun". I'm not usually a big user of words but I felt it needed something and I think it sets it off perfectly. I even managed to add some gauze butterfly that I purchased in a pack from Cheap as Chips. Gotta love that store!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The only artist you should ever compare yourself to is the one you were yesterday.

Fiona xx