As promised here are tasks 3 and 4 of the Scrapbooking Memories Masters challenge. As I was saying in my last post, I began this journey back in July 2014. I recieved a phone call one morning to say I'd been chosen and then had to keep the secret for 3 months! But finally it's all been announced and now I can reveal my challenge pieces to you up close and personal.
Task 3: "Scrap a layout where your journalling is the focus of the page. the layout can be 8 1/2in x 11in or 12 x 12in."
Well, to be honest I have never really journalled on my layouts. I barely give them a title but all that has changed since I have been submitting to challenges etc... so here is my entry.
A bucket list! It was inspired by the 2Crafty Chipboard piece "Vertical Numbers". I covered them in PVA glue and sprinkled Distress Embossing Powder in Walnut Stain all over it and then heat embossed it. I love the scratchy sand paper feel of this embossing powder. Unfortunately I think it's been discontinued so I use my stash sparingly.
The background paper is like a piece of cork board so I used the theme of a pin up board. I used Kaisercraft brads and those other funny paper clip kind of things to add a pin-up kind of feel to it.
I also used the 2Crafty Vertical Numbers as a mask over the texture paste I slathered underneath randomly. I blended some Vintage Photo Distress Ink over them to get this effect.
I added some map paper that I printed from the internet (This inspired me to recently purchased some old maps at a market) to coincide with my picture of the Simpson Desert National Park, which we hope to cross with our camper one day. I know ..... they say you can't tow across the Simpson but I have a T-VAN track trailer and enough ambition to make it! Sandi ...... back me up here LOL!
I don't like my hand writing at the best of times, so writing this much on a page was very nerve racking. I decided if it was going to look messy then it might as well look REALLY messy. Like someone had scribbled notes onto a notice board in a hurried sort of style.
There's only a little amount of background work on this layout. I wanted the pictures to be the focus so all I did was slap on some texture paste then once it was dry, blended the Distress Ink over the numbers, rolled some Glitz Designs Doodle Roller "triangles" over the top and then sprinkled Dylusions Ink Spray in "Squeezed Orange" and "Calypso Teal". Finally I added some strips of black sewing.
I probably have heaps more things to add to this list and I most likely won't get to fulfil all of the wishes but it was heaps of fun preparing, thinking about and researching ..........and if you're wondering why a date with Johnny Depp is my number one .... well because....
THIS ...... derr..... lol
O.K. re-focus ......
Task 4: "Create the cover of an art journal that best reflects your scrapbooking style. The art journal can be any size, as long as it fits into the box specified in the rules with your other projects."
Out of all the tasks, this was the one I tackled first. It really got my mind going as soon as I read the requirements. "What is my style?" "What would I do?"
I knew I wanted to incorporate up-cycled something and I knew I wanted to include lots of water colouring, paint splatters and stamping. So I started with creating an interesting background.
I found this picture in one of the old "Little Golden Books" I have in my stash along with a saying about birds flying so far we sometimes cannot see them but they have a pathless sky. I loved it so much it was perfect for my inspiration.
I added some additional birds to the background using one of Tim Holtz's clear acrylic stamps and some black StazOn ink. I used my favourite Kaszazz background stamp "Grid" and my other favourite background stamp "Daniel's Hearts" by Daniel Torrente. I love the Stampotique collections. They are so quirky and fun to add to art journalling pages. You should check out what France Papillon can do with them!!!
I added some odd chipboard alphas to create the title "Art Journal" and one of Tim Hotz's grung board wings all gesso'd and water colour painted of course. Then I decorated with little Prima Marketing flowers and leaves and some little resin and metal embellishments to finish it all off.
I have to say, even though I had quite a lot of anxiety creating these pieces, I did really enjoy the challenge and I would recommend anyone giving it a go because , look at me! I'm just a scrapper like you and I did it! So you can too :)
Thanks for popping in